Quick Weight Loss Description
Under rapid weight loss is usually meant a sharp decrease in body weight and visual emaciation of a person. At the same time, there are no external factors contributing to such a symptom: the patient does not engage in active sports, continues to eat fully and leads a habitual way of life. At the same time, the patient may feel normal for some time, but after a certain period of time, he feels weak, may be intoxicated, a high temperature and other symptoms of a disease appear.
The main mechanisms of this process include inadequate poor nutrition or complete starvation, sharply increased needs of the body after stress and illness, as well as a significant decrease in the absorbability of nutrients in the body and hyper exchange, in which the basic vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins, carbohydrates, are derived by without their entry into the body.
Sharp weight loss is most often caused by various diseases of the neurological, gastrointestinal, infectious, metabolic, oncological types, as well as acute deficiencies of vitamins or nutrients involved in metabolic processes.
A sharp decrease in body weight, as mentioned above, can be caused by a huge range of diseases and negative states. Here are just some of them:
- The problem with the adrenal glands. Usually, adrenal insufficiency is accompanied by anorexia, weakness, sudden weight loss, regular stool disorders, and mental irritability. Sometimes the patient is followed by nausea and focal manifestations of strong skin pigmentation.
- Diabetes. It is widely believed that diabetes mellitus causes only obesity – this is not the case at all! This disease causes a malfunction of metabolic processes and provokes not only a set, but also a sharp weight loss depending on the specific state of the body. In addition to weight loss, diabetes mellitus is accompanied by fatigue, intense thirst, and frequent urination.
- Neurological anorection. This disease of neurological nature is characteristic for women from 18 to 30 years and is accompanied by a very sharp weight loss (up to 50 percent) in a short time period. In patients with this diagnosis, there is muscular atrophy, loss of scalp, general weakness, hypotension, frequent constipation, and regular uncontrolled vomiting.
- Systemic depression. Severe forms of systemic depression are sometimes accompanied by drowsiness, suicidal thoughts, loss of appetite and weight, and general fatigue.
- Cryptosporidosis. Protozoal infections of this type provoke muscle pain, a sharp loss of body weight, severe diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea with vomiting.
- Viral infection with herpes. Herpes, despite the classic sluggish form of the disease, sometimes contributes to malnutrition due to unpleasant sensations during a meal, which in turn provokes weight loss.
- Gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis rather strongly affects the process of absorption of fluids into the body, slowing them down, which in turn leads to serious weight loss, dehydration, fever, dryness of all the mucous systems of the body, tachycardia and other manifestations of the disease.
- Esophagitis. Inflammations in the esophagus bring severe pain in the process of eating food – a person can de facto avoid this event or reduce it to a minimum. Such dysfunction of swallowing provoke a strong and abrupt weight loss, and often the patient has regular emetic urges.
- Leukemia. Such a terrible disease, like blood cancer, causes a rapidly progressing loss of body weight, the occurrence of tachycardia, general weakness of the body, pain in muscles and bones, anemia, wide spectrum fevers, spleen enlargement, etc.
- Various oncology. Virtually every oncological disease can be a catalyst for the process of rapid weight loss, which is differentiated by symptoms depending on the location and type of the disease.
- Stomatitis A variety of inflammations of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity make it impossible to fully eat and thus provoke weight loss.
- Tuberculosis of the lungs. In addition to sweating, weakness, chest pain, hemoptysis, shortness of breath and subfebrile temperature, weight loss with anorection can cause a serious infectious disease.Lymphomas. In acute lymphomas, dynamic, smooth weight loss is usually observed, occurring against the background of enlarged lymph nodes, spleen, liver and the appearance of pruritus.
- Thyrotoxicosis. This disease provokes a significant increase in the level of hormones in the thyroid gland, which “accelerate” the metabolic processes, cause severe diarrhea, sweating, fevers, sudden weight loss, tremor of the limbs.
- FFT syndrome. In newborns and small children it is rare, but food underdevelopment is periodically diagnosed, with the result that the baby loses weight and strength extremely quickly.
- Whipple syndrome. This condition is characterized by significant damage to the intestinal epithelium and the almost complete cessation of the absorption of fluid and nutrients through the gastrointestinal tract, which in turn provokes a sharp loss of body weight, diarrhea, steatorrhea, and a variety of anorexia.
- Ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis causes a decrease in appetite, physical exhaustion of the body and weight loss and fever.
- Crohn’s disease. In the course of the development of the disease, patients experience weakness, fatigue, constant diarrhea, abdominal cramps and rapid weight loss, even with adequate nutrition.
- Medication. Some medications for the treatment of the thyroid gland, stimulants of brain activity, laxative, and also chemotherapy are catalysts for extremely rapid loss of body weight with a general depletion of the body.
- Physiological causes. Physiological causes of weight loss include aging (and, accordingly, a decrease in lean body mass), psychiatric disorders, alcoholism, loss of teeth (difficulty and chewing), etc.
What to do and how to stop?
If the diagnostics did not reveal serious health problems, then it is necessary to apply a series of physiological procedures in order to normalize the metabolism and systematize the diet.
- Exercise regularly with moderate physical activity, preferably outdoors.
- More often on a sunny day on the street, “fatten” appetite.
- Significantly increase the calorie content of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eat tight, include a variety of pastries, pasta, fish dishes and a large amount of vegetable oil in the diet.
- Drink decoctions that increase appetite.
In the event that a sharp weight loss is associated with stress or emotional stress, it is worth:
- Learn to fully relax. Attend meditation and yoga courses.
- Apply aromatherapy to normalize the emotional background.
- Drink decoctions, uplifting and relieving stress.
- Sign up for relaxing massages.
If your problem is still associated with the disease, then you should definitely visit a doctor, especially in the case when weight is rapidly lost for more than a month, there are other ailments, and the total mass of your body is 15-20 percent less than the average.
Accurately determine the medical problem is possible only after the diagnosis. In addition to visual inspection by a doctor, it will be necessary to undergo ultrasound examination of the alimentary tract and thyroid gland, fluorography, gastroscopy, and urine, blood and feces tests for hormones, parasites, white blood cells and other risk factors. Only after these events will you be assigned the correct and qualified treatment.
Nausea and weight loss
You are losing weight dramatically, and while there are constant urges to vomit, and nausea does not go away even after the use of medications? There may be several reasons for this, and all of them are associated with possible manifestations of disease.
The combination of the above two symptoms is characteristic of:
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract of a wide range. In this case, the underlying factor is the inflammatory process that blocks the absorption of nutrients and disrupts digestion. Disperse phenomena such as loose stools, vomiting with nausea, provoke more active excretion of nutrients from the body, which causes tissue hypoxia, as well as an acute lack of “fuel” for the body.
- Hormonal disruptions, in particular hypothyroidism, caused by a lack of basic thyroid hormones. Autoimmune disease is characterized by constant nausea, drowsiness, fatigue, and a sharp set, or vice versa, weight loss.
- Cancer of various etymologies. One of the basic symptoms of advanced cancer is nausea, weight loss, and blood clots in the feces.
- Pregnancy with concomitant toxicosis. In the first trimester of pregnancy, future moms often experience bouts of nausea, their weight decreases, their appetite disappears, there is a general weakness of the body. This physiologically process is a consequence of toxicosis and should go to 20-22 weeks of pregnancy. If the alarming symptoms do not disappear, then it is urgent to undergo a comprehensive diagnosis of the condition of your body.
- Addison syndrome (hypocorticoidism). In case of insufficiency of the adrenal cortex, along with other symptoms, the weight of the patient, who is experiencing regular nausea and retching, is almost always significantly reduced.
Weight loss and temperature
Rapid and rapid weight loss, as well as the accompanying high temperature, usually indicates the presence of diseases such as ulcerative colitis, gastroenteritis or pulmonary tuberculosis in the body. Quite often, these symptoms indicate extreme exhaustion of the whole body or a chronic lack of fluid that nourishes all systems of the body.
Smooth dynamic weight loss with increasing amplitude, as well as a constant subfebrile temperature, increasing in the evenings, may indicate the development of oncology and cancer.
Weight loss during pregnancy
Weight loss during pregnancy in the first trimester is considered normal if it is accompanied by toxicosis. During this period, the expectant mother is experiencing regular emetic urges, aversion to certain types of food, and general weakness. Usually, toxicosis passes by 20-22 weeks and, from a physiological point of view, does not harm either the baby or the fair sex. However, if toxicosis is significantly delayed or you lose weight in the absence of a visible reason for prolonging a long period of time, and especially in the second and third trimester, then this is a reason for an emergency visit to the doctor, who can determine the true cause of weight loss using a comprehensive diagnosis.
Weight loss under stress
Stressful situations, depression, as well as a variety of neurology, can provoke both obesity and a significant sharp weight loss. In some cases, these conditions provoke the development of anorexia, especially if they are consciously invoked in an attempt to reduce weight by provoking vomiting after meals.
Only the qualified help of specialists who prescribe appropriate drug treatment, physiological procedures and recommend psychological help can solve the problem.